Monday, May 10, 2010

A Big Promotion

I've decided that I'm not at my best when I sleep well. I've slept well for way too long now. Tonight I laid down to go to sleep and my mind was racing and I thought, yea! i'm getting back to being me. Justin and I were on a long road trip today and we talked a bunch about our dreams and it got me thinking... and now I can't stop. We ask ourselves some pretty big questions that we have yet to answer. One thing that I love about our generation is that we're not happy with just living, we want to LIVE WHAT MATTERS. I hear this echoed in the lives of so many of my friends, too. I can think of so many people that have made their stories count. I like this because it compels me to move too. Remember the shuttle run we had to do in PE class? They had you run along side someone else, pick up a block, run it back and do it again? I asked my teacher one time why we ran them with someone. She said "because it makes you run faster." I'm sure it was also to save time. But I'll bet a hundred bucks that if you ran that race without some running next to you, your time would be slower. This is something I love about community. The whole running together, pushing each other to do something better.
Sometimes, though, there's a glitch in this system when healthy competition turns in to self-promotion. Growing up in a house with older brothers, I've inherited a tendency towards competitiveness. This can be not good, obviously. But it can be awesome if I steer it in the right direction. Luckily, I also have a tendency to become fanatical about things I love that I believe can have benefit for others and promote it like crazy. I'm declaring now to be a promoter instead of a competitor. Well I still want to compete in stuff, but you know what I mean.

These people/org are worth checking out- they'll inspire you.
Anne Jackson- flowerdust.net
Don Miller- donmilleris.com
Bob Goff- bobgoff.com
Marijke Jane- marijkejane.wordpress.com
Venture Expeditions- ventureexpeditions.ning.com
check out the blogs of the adventurers/cyclists on their site
Beth & Brian Woods- brianandbethwoods.theworldrace.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay!! You are blogging!! I'm so happy. :) you are added to my subscriptions! Also, thanks for the shout out. ;)